Wednesday, September 5, 2012

More from Seymour

Hey everybody!  For anyone keeping track I'm now just a week and a half out from the deadline to finish Seymour.  Unfortunately, I'm going out of town this weekend so time is even shorter.  Luckily, even though my family was all here over the Labor Day weekend, I was able to get quite a bit done on Seymour.  It was actually even more fun working on him than usual;  I've been working on him so long that I'm past the "excited" stage and on to the "slog through please please please won't this quilt ever be done" stage, but my sister an my mom think he's really cool so I was re-invigorated.  They actually helped me out quite a bit and definitely kept me company while I worked.  

This is the "back" side. Even though the front needs to be finished first (for pictures), in order for the bones to be lined up properly, Seymour's body had to be attached to the back first.  I used heavy duty black interfacing and covered it with fabric coated in fusible.  The fabrics I used aren't quilting cottons; they're designed as synthetic leather/snakeskin/halloween costume sparkly type fabrics.  They were pretty light weight and even though they're synthetic they fused fairly well to the interfacing, I just had to use parchment paper between the fabric and the iron.  I actually think they feel more skin-like and leather-like after having been fused to the interfacing since that gives so much body.

After getting the body covered in fabric but before attaching it to the quilt, I quilted some scales onto it.  Unfortunately it was hard to quilt on as my hopping foot wasn't crazy about the relatively sticky fabric, but I think it came out ok.  After quilting it, I sewed it to the surface of the quilt which turned out to be the hardest part of the whole thing.  I couldn't get the dinosaur to fuse or glue to the quilt so I had to pin (through All Those Layers) and then manhandling the thing through the sewing machine was nuts!  Luckily, there were only a few really thick parts (at the edge especially where it's already been bound).




He still needs an eye and probably some teeth, but the next step is the bones!  I love the way he blends into the quilt; this side was supposed to be low contrast and I can't wait to add a bright beady eye that will hopefully jump out at you!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced!