Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pouches-Round 2

I decided to try another pouch, hopefully with better results than the last time.  I took the same basic assembly steps, but because this one is to be a birthday present for a good friend, I used a slightly simpler block in the hopes that it would go together better.  I chose to do a cream/purple color scheme and instead of patchwork I did a sort of window-motif-applique thing.  I know this technique has an actual name, I just have no idea what it is.  Basically, the base of both pouch sides is the cream tone-on-tone print while one side has the flower pattern appliqued on and the other side has the "window" leftover from cutting out the flower pattern appliqued on.  I just drew half the flower pattern freehand onto folded paper-backed fusible web.  Folded so that I would get matching halves, and fusible so that I could tightly affix the appliques before stitching.

Here's what the basic sides looked like after fusing the pieces. Each piece is about 7 1/2 inches square.


After fusing, I blanket stitched around the motifs with a matching purple thread then assembled the pouch.  Like the other, it does have a lining, I just didn't take a picture of the lining fabric.




It definitely came out better than the last one, I'm really pleased with the purple and cream and hope my friend likes it.  Without all the tucks adding bulk, the zipper went in much better, but the top corners are still a little weird.  I have to work that out next time, but I think I know what the problem is so it shouldn't be too hard.  These really are fun, and not too hard to make.  I've really enjoyed trying some different types of piecing for these so far without committing to something big and complicated.